Friday, March 10, 2006

Admiration Society

In a rather delightful turn, two blogs have posted marvelous essays this week that I'd like to note here.

Nick Mamatas, a writer whom I know through Jessica, in his posted this bit of Swift-ian brilliance this week and I nearly pulled a muscle laughing. While the essay in and of itself is completely on-point and hillarious, I am extremely grateful to him for this paragraph, which I'm tempted to turn into a wall-hanging and keep it near my computer:

Recent discussions about writing and being a writer and "success" highlight the widely-held belief that writing itself imparts a level of privilege that the world, in its nasty little way, tries to deny. This is all rather silly, I think. We see very few people stewing about their "bad decisions" to become a Wal-Mart employee or a Mexican coal miner or a conscript in a revolutionary people's army or a whore for German sex-tourists in Bangkok.


Marvelous. He certainly wins my admiration for the week for this post.

I also must highlight this entry from David Cross's blog as one of the best online street fights since Joss Whedon and Warren Ellis got into a comment war some weeks back. In this entry, David meets Larry the Cable Guy at the bleachers (no principals, no student teachers) to prove that he ain't no holla back girl. Or something. It's worth reading, at any rate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home